Wednesday, May 04, 2011

CSA Week 1 (plus menu plan)

Today was the first day of harvest for the CSA share that I purchased through C&T Produce, our local farmer's market.
We received a tomato box full (1/2 bushel) of what looked like mostly green things, but I discovered some colorful veggies underneath.  I confess I had some trouble identifying what everything was.  Thank you, Google, for helping me identify most of the green items.  

Included, starting from the back left, was a bunch of swiss chard, large bunch of green onions, bunch of red-tipped lettuce, bunch of leaf lettuce, a large bunch of spinach, 2 pints strawberries, 5 medium tomatoes, 6 turnips, and a bunch of asparagus.  
So menu planning with this is interesting, but I'm up for the challenge.  We've been eating salads mostly every day anyways, so we will definitely put that lovely, fresh green lettuce to use with salads.  
Here's our dinner menus for the week:
WEDNESDAY: Tacos (using those tomatoes and green onions), Salad with ranch dressing
THURSDAY: Burgers (with lettuce and tomato on top), grilled asparagus (with balsamic vinegar, EVOO, Salt and Pepper), and caramelized turnips (new recipe- hope it's good)
FRIDAY*: Chicken Enchiladas (using green onion), Asian Strawberry Salad, Strawberry Pie *I will be doubling this meal, 1 to share with a friend who just had a baby.
SATURDAY: Leftovers
SUNDAY: We usually have pizza and salad on Sundays after church, but since that is Mother's Day, we will be going out. 
MONDAY: Grilled Chicken Sandwiches, grilled garden veggies (vidalia onion, squash, zucchini, peppers- not included in CSA, but I will pick up from the farmer's market), Cranberry Walnut Salad with 55 House Dressing
TUESDAY: Taco Pizza, salad with red raspberry dressing

I'm going to have to do some research on how to cook chard, and I will add that as a side one night. The kids love green smoothies, so we will have those with breakfast a couple mornings this week. Anyone have any additional suggestions for me?

UPDATE:  I had to pass on the turnips.  They smelled so putrid that that I couldn't bear to prepare them.  I switched a couple days around, since I took a meal for a friend on Monday instead of Friday.  Also, I learned that you should prepare asparagus right away, and not leave it in the vegetable drawer for a couple days, or it will get stringy and fibrous.  We used up everything, with the exception of all the green onions and those nasty turnips. 

2 comments:

Amber said...

Love reading your blog! The 'turnips' were actually radishes. They are a bit spicy raw, but can be roasted till tender and are much milder.

Blakemore Family said...

Oh! You'd think with all the Veggie Tales that we watch, I would know my vegetables! :-D I guess not.

Thanks for stopping by!!!