Monday, August 12, 2013

Water Weekend, Day 1

I normally work every weekend so Jon can be with the kids, but I took last weekend as 2 vacation days so we could do some fun things together before the summer is over. 
 On Friday evening, the kids and I went to scope out a new park we discovered, Aquia Landing Beach Park.  It's less than 9 miles from our house, and it's a sandy peninsula on the Potomac River.  I can't believe it took me this long to find it!  I'm so glad we did!

 A storm was passing between Virginia and Maryland, and it produced this lovely double rainbow. 

After the library event on Friday, I stocked up on beach reads.  I guess I forgot that I have small children to watch near water, so I did not get even one page read.  Such is my life at this time. 

It was a little overcast on Saturday, so the only people there were another family of 5 and a few scattered fishermen.  

Testing the waters

The kids made quick friends with the other kids.  We went to Walmart the night before and bought some clearance beach toys.  They all had a fun time.  

My toes in the sand

A fish head in the sand

A David head covered in sand

The kids waded out quite a bit. Michael, my adventurer, would have swam across the Potomac to Maryland if I hadn't kept the reigns on him. 

We had a picnic lunch at the pavilion, then we came home and let David get a nap while the older kids watched a movie.  

The kids requested CiCi's Pizza for dinner, and we reluctantly obliged.
We had a wonderful Saturday during Water Weekend!

No comments: